New York Wine & GrapeNews
Sign up for the 2017 Export Program!
Category: Export Program
Export Program Backgrounder
For several years, the New York Wine & Grape Foundation has conducted an export program with funding support from the United States Department of Agriculture’s Foreign Agricultural Service (FAS). Valerie Venezia-Ross coordinates and executes the program, which includes both “generic” (New York) and “branded” (individual winery) components focused primarily on markets of interest to the participating wineries. In FY 2016-17 activities were carried out in (or for increasing awareness in) Australia, Belgium, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Sweden, and the United Kingdom.
Each year, all New York wineries are invited to participate in the program. In the past there had been no participation fee, but beginning with program year 2014 (Jan – Dec) we implemented a small per market fee. Wineries must contribute a modest amount of wine samples, pay their own travel expenses for some events and branded advertising costs (which are normally partially reimbursable). Our program year 2015 was extended to put us in the same program year as other US wine region in hopes that the regions could work more collaboratively on some events. This was encouraged by FAS, so our 2015 program year ran from January 1, 2015 to June 30, 2016.For the purposes of this report we will be reporting on events / activities in program year 2016. (July 1, 2016 – June 30, 2017) In this year, wines from 20 wineries were used in one or more of the export program activities.
The principal activities include “Uncork New York” trade exhibits at major trade shows and consumer events; publication of brochures and other literature; advertising and public relations; familiarization tours of New York’s wine regions for the press and trade; comprehensive educational resources such as the New York Wine Course & Reference, the Varietal Series; and meetings with key wine buyers. For the Canadian market, the Foundation works with a professional trade representative who organizes the events and arranges contacts. While the export program is not designed to promote tourism, the awareness created by these activities has stimulated visits by tourists from Canada, Asia and Europe.
This program has also allowed the Foundation to develop many valuable resources to promote the New York wine industry internationally, including in New York State. These include:
- The original www.newyorkwines.org web site
- The “Uncork New York” statewide brochure
- The Varietal Series – a program to increase awareness of the various grape types grown in New York (this includes promotional pieces and a poster entitled New York’s Great Grapes)
- Professional displays for trade shows
- The New York Wine Course & Reference (including extensive photography, design, the NYWCR is available as a PDF on our website)
- A photo library which has been used by Time magazine, Reader’s Digest, National Geographic Traveler, and other major publications to illustrate articles on the industry
- Advertisements (and editorial) in international magazines such as Decanter, Wine Tidings and Wine Access
- Development of close relationships with major international wine writers, and an increased presence for New York wines in international books
- Press coverage in international magazines such as Decanter, Wine Tidings, etc.
- Helping New York wineries enter international competitions, including coordination of shipping products overseas
- Sponsoring international wine writers and buyers on familiarization tours connected with wine competitions
A summary of the program can be found in the MAP 2017 Sign-up brief.
More detailed information including a bit on each of the markets we target can be found in the document entitled Winery Invitation – New Program Year
Sign up forms are included with each of these…but you only have to fill our one!
A Votre Santé
Yung sin / Gan bei