The New York Wine Classic
Please read the 2019 Competition Brochure for directions.
The New York Wine Classic has become known as “The Oscars” of the New York wine industry. The 22 judges include wine writers, wine educators, retailers, restaurateurs and other experts from around New York State and country. All samples are judged “blind” on their own merits, with the “Governor’s Cup” and other awards made public as soon as possible after the competition ends. The winners of this competition get enormous publicity, which leads to enormous sales—but you have to enter to win!
Thank you to our 2019 New York Wine Classic Sponsors: Gray Locey, CPA and Adironadcak Barrel Cooperage!
Attractive Awards, Timely Publicity, and Commercial Benefits
- The Governor’s Cup will be awarded to the best wine (made from grapes) of the competition.
- A Winery of the Year award will be granted to the winery with the highest average score (based on the type and number of awards relative to the number of entries).
- A Specialty Wine Champion award will be given to the best non-grape wine of the competition.
- A Concord Brandy award will be given.
- Double Gold, Gold, Silver and Bronze Awards will be presented on a merit basis as determined by the panels of judges. All Double Gold winners automatically advance to the Governor’s Cup round. Panels also have the option of advancing Gold medal wines if they choose.
- The top scoring wine in each major category (Sparkling, White, Rosé, Red, and Dessert) will be honored as “Best of New York.”
- The top scoring wine in each major class (e.g., Chardonnay, Seyval, Red Blend) will receive a “Best of Class” designation. In order for there to be a Best of Class award, there must be at least 7 entries in the class.
- The International Riesling Foundation’s Riesling Taste Profile is used in determining whether Riesling will be judged in the Dry, Medium Dry, Medium Sweet, or Sweet categories—each of which will have a “Best of Class” designee. It is now being used by major competitions as well as the Classic.
- As soon as possible after the awards are verified, and the Governor’s Cup winners are notified by phone, and full results will be posted on our web site www.newyorkwines.org under the Industry News section.
- Medals will be sent to wineries as soon as possible after the competition. Please keep in mind that we cannot predict the number of medals needed, so they will be ordered after the competition is held.
- The retail stores and restaurants represented on the judging panel will feature many of the award-winning wines during the fall and beyond.
- The award-winning wines will be featured throughout the coming year in the Foundation’s promotional activities.
QUESTIONS? Contact Jennifer Cooper at email@example.com or call 1 (315) 924-3706.
How do I enter?
When should I ship my samples and where should I ship them to?
Please ship your wines to: New York Wine & Grape Foundation, Attn: NY Wine Classic/Jenn Cooper, 1 Keuka Business Park, Suite 208, Penn Yan, NY 14527, between July 8th-19th.
How much product should I send?
For Most Wines: (4) 750 ML bottles, or the equivalent
Grape Brandy: (2) 750 ml bottles
Ice Wines, Dessert Wines, etc:(6) 375 ml bottles
When will the competition results be available?
Results for all winners will be announced at the closing luncheon on August 7th (and announced on the New York Wine & Grape Foundation’s website.)
When will I receive my medal(s)?
Medals will be sent to wineries as soon as possible after the competition. Please keep in mind that we cannot predict the number of medals needed, so need to order them after the competition is held
Special thanks to our 2019 New York Wine Classic Sponsors: Gray Locey, CPA and Adirondack Barrel Cooperage
Adirondack Barrel Cooperage: Contact: Kelly Blazosky
1005 Williams Road
Remsen NY 13438