The New York Wine Classic
The New York Wine Classic has become known as “The Oscars” of the New York wine industry. The 21 judges include wine writers, wine educators, retailers, restaurateurs and other experts from around the State and country. All samples are judged “blind” on their own merits, with the “Governor’s Cup” and other awards made public as soon as possible after the competition ends. The results of this competition get enormous publicity, which leads to enormous sales—but you have to enter to win!
2018 New York Wine Classic Press Release (4/30/18)
A list of Judges will be announced by June 1st, 2018.
2018 Entry Information & Forms
If you prefer, you may quickly and easily submit your entries online here. A detailed invoice (with a list of your submissions) will be emailed directly to you. Please note that you may pay online when you receive the invoice or print the invoice and send payment wit a check. Thank you!
Attractive Awards, Timely Publicity, and Commercial Benefits
- The Governor’s Cup will be awarded to the best wine (made from grapes) of the competition.
- A Winery of the Year award will be granted to the winery with the highest average score (based on the type and number of awards relative to the number of entries).
- A Specialty Wine Champion award will be given to the best non-grape wine of the competition.
- A Best Limited Production Wine award is included to encourage new, small wineries to enter, and to recognize that some very special wines are made in small quantities.
- A Best Cider award will be given to the top-scoring New York hard cider in the competition.
- A Best Distilled Spirit award will go to the top-scoring craft spirit in the competition.
- Double Gold, Gold, Silver and Bronze Awards will be presented on a merit basis as determined by the panels of judges. All Double Gold winners automatically advance to the Governor’s Cup round, provided at least 100 cases are AVAILABLE at the time of the competition. Panels also have the option of advancing Gold medal wines if they choose.
- The top scoring wine in each major category (Sparkling, White, Rosé, Red, and Dessert) will be honored as “Best New York.”
- The top scoring wine in each major class (e.g., Chardonnay, Seyval, Red Blend) will receive a “Best of Class” designation. In order for there to be a Best of Class award, there must be at least 7 entries in the class.
- The International Riesling Foundation’s Riesling Taste Profile is used in determining whether Riesling will be judged in the Dry, Medium Dry, Medium Sweet, or Sweet categories—each of which will have a “Best of Class” designee. It is now being used by major competitions as well as the Classic.
- As soon as possible after the awards are verified, and the Governor’s Cup winners are notified by phone, full results will be posted on our web site www.newyorkwines.org under the Awards & Accolades section.
- Medals will be sent to wineries as soon as possible after the competition. Please keep in mind that we cannot predict the number of medals needed, so they will be ordered after the competition is held.
- The retail stores and restaurants represented on the judging panel will feature many of the award-winning wines during the fall and beyond.
- The award-winning wines will be featured throughout the coming year in the Foundation’s promotional activities.
QUESTIONS? Contact Jennifer Cooper at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1 (585) 394-3620.
What is the deadline for entry?
The entry form must be submitted online or postmarked by June 18, 2018. There will be a $5 fee per entry assessed to late submissions.
Where do I mail my entry form and payment?
Online: Please enter online at or submit online at: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/CTPYZG6
You will be emailed a detailed invoice (with a list of wines you have entered) after completion of that form. You may choose to pay online with a credit card OR via check mailed to the New York Wine & Grape Foundation.
Paper forms: If you prefer to mail in a paper form, please send your completed entry form and check payable to the New York Wine & Grape Foundation to: NYWGF, 800 S Main St, Suite 200 Canandaigua, NY 14424.
When should I ship my samples and where should I ship them to?
Please plan to have your samples arrive between June 26th and June 30th to the address listed below:
c/o Lakewood Vineyards (There will be a $5 fee per entry assessed to late submissions.)
4024 State Route 14
Watkins Glen, NY 14891
**PLEASE MARK “CLASSIC” ON THE OUTSIDE OF EACH CASE**
Can I deliver my samples to Teresa at Lakewood Vineyards?
Yes, if your winery would like to deliver the wines to Lakewood Vineyards, samples can be packed in standard product
boxes (shippers are not necessary.)
How much product should I send?
For Most Wines (not Limited Production or Dessert): (4) 750 ML bottles, or the equivalent
Limited Production, Cider, and Distilled Spirits: (2) 750 ml bottles
Ice Wines, Dessert Wines, etc:(6) 375 ml bottles
When will the competition results be available?
Results for all winners except the Governor’s Cup, Winery of the Year and Concord Grape Brandy classes will be announced at the closing luncheon on August 8th (and announced on the New York Wine & Grape Foundation’s website.)
When will I receive my medal(s)?
Medals will be sent to wineries as soon as possible after the competition. Please keep in mind that we cannot predict the number of medals needed, so need to order them after the competition is held